Want to save on vacation? Check out these tips for stretching your budget in the International Drive
Looking to save on your Orlando vacation (and who isn't?)!
In the heart of Orlando’s tourism district, International Drive offers accommodations
for every budget. And special deals are always available by searching this site.
So how can a family trim its budget into an affordable vacation?
“Our partners are very sensitive to the fact that people really need a vacation and they are looking for ways to save money and stretch their budgets as far as possible. There are many great deals that are available for those willing to do a little research and planning. Our website is the best place to start looking for great deals on accommodations, dining and the attractions.”
Visitors should consider the following tips to save dollars when planning a vacation to the I-Drive area:
1. Save on transportation costs. Park the car. Take the trolley!
Gas prices are currently dropping but why not save a few $$$$ and eliminate the stress of driving? Catch a fun, relaxing ride on the I-Ride Trolley
and go to major Orlando attractions, accommodations, shopping and dining for only $2.00.
The I-Ride Trolley Service operates from 8 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. daily. Costs: Single cash fare, $2.00 per ride; child cash fare, $1.00 per ride (ages 3 to 9 with paying adult); senior fare 65 and over, $0.25 per ride. Unlimited ride passes are available: (one-day pass, $5.00 per person); (three-day pass, $7.00 per person); (five-day pass, $9.00 per person); (seven-day pass, $12.00 per person) (fourteen-day pass, $18.00 per person).
Passes may be purchased online
, at hotel guest services desks and at listed locations through out the I-Drive area. Each I-Ride Trolley seats 54 riders plus two wheelchair positions and an ADA-specified hydraulic lift system. For detailed, downloadable Trolley maps click here
2. Check out “hot deals” on this web site
. Area accommodations, attractions and restaurants list their current hot deals online
3. Shop online for the best deals on accommodations
. Check and compare the best rates and book reservations online
4. Ask about special room rates. When calling a hotel for reservations, ask about the property’s “best” rates for the season, AARP, AAA.
5. Family dining without going broke. It can be done! Have the largest meal at lunch. Prices are less. Then go light on dinner. Check for coupons (see tip #4) that allow kids to eat free, two for one meals and other deals. When looking for a restaurant, ask about special offers that might be available.
More: When booking your hotel, select one that offers free breakfast. Have a hearty start to the day, snack for lunch and use a coupon for dinner. Make sure the room has a refrigerator for storing drinks and snacks! Tip: Check out a meal at the world’s largest McDonald’s
PlayPlace! Yes, the largest in the world. It’s an attraction in itself!
6. Cost-saving coupons.
Be sure to check out the more than $500 worth of coupons on the I-Ride Trolley map and in the Official Visitors Guide
. The map can be downloaded here
or you may pick up one when you arrive. They are available onboard any Trolley, guest service desks at accommodations and at Trolley pass sales locations.
Tip: Request a Visitors Guide to help plan your trip by filing out your address information online
7. Enjoy your vacation even more with the Orlando Magicard, a free discount card that includes many discounted properties within the I-Drive area.
8. Save $$$ at the theme parks. Check websites and online outlets for discount coupons at the theme parks. Many have two for one tickets or dollars off family discounts depending upon the time of year.
9. For the best savings: travel in the off season. Late spring and fall are traditionally the value periods where visitors find the best rates. The kids are in school. Weather is nice. Plus, lines are shorter.
10. Explore the cultural side of Orlando.
Take a break from the theme parks and visit one of the area’s museums…and save some money! The Morse Museum
in Winter Park offers visitors free admission to see its fabulous collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany glass on Friday from 4-8 p.m., November through April. Visitors should also visit the area's cultural events and discounts
12. Shopping savings until you drop!
Every vacation has to include a little shopping! Save lots of $$$ shopping at I-Drive’s famous outlets…all accessible by the I-Drive Trolley! In addition to the regular outlet savings, check with visitor services at each location for special coupons and special promotions for further savings. Don’t miss these outlets: Orlando International Premium Outlets
and Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets